- B.Sc. (Physics), Presidency College, University of Calcutta (2007)
- M.Sc. (Physics), Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore (2009)
- Ph.D. Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (2016)
Research Associate, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Jun 2015 - Jul 2016
Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Wuerzburg, Germany, Sept 2016 - Oct 2022
Assistant Professor, S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Science, Kolkata, India, Oct 2022 – Till Date
- Quantum spin Hall effect in 2D topological insulators: effect of magnetic impurities and breakdown of time-reversal symmetry with an external magnetic field.
- Thermal transport in topological materials.
- New atomically thin 2D topological insulators.
- Higher-order topology.
- Scattering mechanism in two-dimensional topological insulatorsl.
- Low frequency noise spectroscopy in low dimensional systems.
- Ultra-low temperature methods and techniques.
Significant Recent Publications:
[Google Scholar] | [Research Webpage]
- S. Islam, S. Shamim and A. Ghosh. Benchmarking noise and Dephasing in emerging electrical materials for quantum technologies. Advanced Materials 2109671 (2022).
- S. Shamim, P. Shekhar, W. Beugeling, et al., Counterpropagating topological and quantum Hall edge channels. Nature Communications 13, 2682 (2022).
- S. Shamim, W. Beugeling, P. Shekhar, et al., Quantized spin Hall conductance in a magnetically doped two-dimensional topological insulator. Nature Communications 12, 3193 (2021).
- S. Shamim, W. Beugeling, J. Böttcher, et al., Emergent quantum Hall effects below 50 mT in a two-dimensional topological insulator. Science Advances 6 eaba4625 (2020).
- J. Strunz, J. Wiedenmann, C. Fleckenstein, et al., Interacting topological edge channels. Nature Physics 16, 83 (2020).
- K. Bendias, S. Shamim, O. Herrmann, et al., High mobility HgTe microstructures for quantum spin Hall studies. Nanoletters 18, 4831 (2018).
- K. Roy, T. Ahmed, H. Dubey, et al., Number‐Resolved Single‐Photon Detection with Ultralow Noise van der Waals Hybrid. Advanced Materials 30, 1704412 (2018).
- S. Shamim, B. Weber, D. W. Thompson, et al., Ultra-low noise atomic scale structures for quantum circuitry in silicon. Nanoletters 9, 5779 (2016).
- S. Shamim, S. Mahapatra, G. Scappucci, et al., Spontaneous Breaking of Time-Reversal Symmetry in Strongly Interacting Two-Dimensional Electron Layers in Silicon and Germanium". Physical Review Letters 112, 236602 (2014).